- Director of Policy and Research 2. Finance Manager 3. Monitoring and Evaluation Manager 4. Communications Manager
The Africa Network for Environment and Economic Justice (ANEEJ), a Non-Government and non-profit organization based in Benin City, Edo State with Advocacy Office in Abuja seeks to strengthen our management team under its Transparency and Accountability in the return and Management of looted Assets (MANTRA) Project being supported by British Department for International Development (DFID) under the Anti-Corruption in Nigeria (ACORN) Programme by engaging the services of: 1. Director of Policy and Research 2. Finance Manager 3. Monitoring and Evaluation Manager 4. Communications Manager.
- Director of Policy and Research
Job Description of a Director of Policy and Research
A Director of Policy and Research at Africa Network for Environment and Economic Justice (ANEEJ) will contribute to the organization’s mission to provide a wide range of social development stakeholders with unbiased information and opportunities for collaboration because ANEEJ knows that informed policymakers create better policies. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the policy researcher’s primary functions will include tracking anticorruption and other civil society/social development-related and legislative activities, writing policy briefs, producing knowledge documents, enriching ANEEJ’s databases and responding to real-time requests for information from key constituents.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage ANEEJ Monitoring of Transparency of Return and Management of returned Looted Assets (MANTRA) project, reporting directly to management.
- Respond to requests for information from constituents on a wide range of social development issues.
- Read and interpret legislation, statutes, and administrative code accurately, and with minimal supervision.
- Populate civil society summaries and policy databases.
- Write and edit policy reports for publication and Web distribution.
- Read environment and economic justice-related academic studies and accurately synthesize key findings and policy recommendations for a non-academic audience.
- Contribute project concept ideas individually and as a member of ANEEJ’s teams. Assist in linking projects between departments and with other organizations.
- Assist with meeting planning, including determining meeting objectives, speaker identification, preparation of background materials and synthesis of conference proceedings.
- Participate in internal and external meetings as may be directed by Senior management.
- Contribute to blogs, newsletters and other written products.
- Fund raising for ANEEJ Policy-related activities
- Perform other ANEEJ’s duties as may be required from time to time.
Other Potential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Write and edit concept papers and grant proposals.
- Minimum qualification: Master’s degree in related field of Law, Social Science, Corruption, Good Governance from a recognized university.
- 5 years previous public policy experience in a Civil Society Organisation and an interest in anti-corruption, rule of law and good environment preferred.
- Maintains neutrality and objectivity on polarizing issues.
- Basic knowledge of governance systems and policy issues.
- Builds and maintains good team relations.
- Collaborates effectively with other staff members and representatives from partner organizations.
- Identifies the organization of tasks and the time schedules to help accomplish goals efficiently, creatively and effectively.
- Self-motivated and works autonomously with minimal supervision.
- Locates information concerning complex issues and determines relevance and importance.
- Distinguishes validity among a wide variety of resources.
- Conveys complex information clearly, both orally and in print.
- Strong sense of integrity and professionalism in representation of the organization, both internally and externally to other CSOs, the government and the donor community.
- Manages multiple tasks with competing deadlines; meets deadlines.
- Proficient in use of digital software and technology, including databases, MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Must work under minimal supervision and will be supervised by Deputy Executive Director. If requested by the Executive Director, may supervise the work of outside project consultants.
The Director of Policy and Research must meet deadlines; make decisions quickly under pressure; assume independent responsibility; have high energy, creativity and sound judgment; and have maturity and confidence to interact with members of the media and high-level policy-makers..
Possible out-of-state travel depending upon project demands. Must be able to operate the following equipment: personal computer, telephone, copier, and fax.
- Finance Manager
We are looking for a qualified Finance Manager to prepare, compute, manage, research and analyze all accounting data in order to provide quantitative information on performance and financial position of our organization.
- Manage accounting operations that would be assigned to him/her based on accounting principles
- Prepare budget and financial forecasts
- Publish financial statements in time
- Conduct month-end and year-end close process
- Collect, analyze and summarize account information
- prepare tax returns for government, and ensure all accounting books are kept up to date etc
- Develop periodic reports for management
- Audit financial transactions and document accounting control procedures
- Keep information confidential and secure them with random database backups
- Keep up with financial policies, regulation and legislation
- Proven experience as an accountant in a relevant field
- Knowledge of and Accounting in an NGO setting is compulsory
- Thorough knowledge of accounting and corporate finance principles and procedures
- Excellent accounting software user
- Strong attention to detail and confidentiality
- First degree or its equivalent in Accounting
- ICAN or related professional qualifications is preferred
- Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
We need the services of a seasoned Monitoring and Evaluation Manager to join our management team.
strengthen monitoring, inspection and evaluation procedures;
Monitor all project activities, expenditures and progress towards achieving the project output/outcomes; Recommend further improvement of the logical frame work;
Develop monitoring and impact indicator/ tools for the success of our projects; Monitor and evaluate overall progress on achievement of results; Monitor the sustainability of the all projects’ results; Provide feedback to the Management on projects’ strategies and activities; Suggest strategies to the Management for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of all projects by identifying bottlenecks in completing project activities and developing plans to minimize or eliminate such bottlenecks; Report monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual progress on all project activities to the Management; Conduct capacity assessment on existing monitoring and evaluation system and develop indicators and a monitoring strategy for new projects; Provide inputs, information and statistics for quarterly, annual and other reports to Project Management Teams; Participate in annual project reviews and planning workshops and assist the Project Manager in preparing relevant reports; Support monitoring and evaluation of the effects and impact of the project; Assist in coordinating across the available components of all projects to ensure effective implementation of M&E/MIS; Assist the programme and Communications personnel with M&E tools and in supporting them in their use.
University Degree preferably in Business Administration, Economics or related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in the design and implementation of M&E/MIS in development projects implemented by national/international NGOs/UN bodies/ Government;
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports;
- Proven ICT skills, especially in the development of MIS software using database software;
- Expertise in analyzing data using statistical software;
- Strong training & facilitation skills.
4. Communications Manager
We also seek the services of a Communications Manager to strengthen communications of ANEEJ activities
The Communications Manager shall be responsible for the followings:
- Coordinating and managing the development and production of communications materials for all development initiatives. In this capacity, the Communication Officer will work closely with institution’s senior management and with unit heads in developing communications materials, proposals, and presentations materials.
- Be on top of information flow in the public domain both locally and internationally and respond promptly on behalf of ANEEJ.
- Oversee and write or edit development documents including: fundraising proposals, publications; communications materials, such as press releases, cultivation, solicitation and acknowledgment letters.
- Interview key program staff and manage the generation of documentation of opportunities and challenges related to institution-wide advancement priorities.
- Oversee and write speeches and develop advancement position papers for senior management.
- Oversee production from draft creation through distribution of ANEEJ publications. Execute, supervise or manage elements including: article/topic selection, research, contract writing/editing, vendor deliverables — from page proofs and blue lines to mail house operations. The Communications Officer participates in working groups to plan, coordinate and execute original communications products and publications related to special events and programs.
- Develop content for information brochures; reviews and edits drafts of correspondence, reports, and brochures for mass distribution; draft articles and reports on the status of major initiatives for distribution to members of the public and special interest groups.
- · Edit and prepare manuscripts on two levels: (1) copy editing (employing skills that assure consistency and accuracy within a manuscript regarding grammar, punctuation, syntax, and acceptable institution style); and (2) substantive editing, requiring critical sense and intuitive evaluation of factual accuracy and consistency of information – chronology of events, overall consistency of subject matter; verification of facts, rearrangement or deletion of material, analysis of data, and evaluation of documentation as to accuracy and thoroughness.
- Regularly feed the ICT unit with materials for ANEEJ website, facebook and twitter accounts. You are also to supervise the photographic and audio-visual units to ensure that their works which involve story lines and captions are properly edited before being finalised or uploaded into the internet.
- Proven experience as a Communications Officer in a relevant field
- Knowledge of Mass Communication in an NGO setting is compulsory
- Thorough knowledge of development communication will serve as an edge
- Excellent user of ICT software
- Strong attention to details and confidentiality
- First degree or its equivalent in Mass Communication or Communication Arts
The salary attached to All positions is as obtained in the industry but negotiable. Extensive travel is involved. A two-year contract will be signed with successful applicants renewable with proven ability to deliver stated JD to the organization. The first two years contract of successful applicants would be subjected to a six-month’s probation period.
Method of Application
Applications for all positions which should be sent online along with detailed resume should be addressed to the Head of Administration: email@example.com not later than two weeks from the date of this advert. Only candidates with requisite qualifications and skills would be contacted for interview.