ANEEJ ENGAGES BPP ON UNDP CASAN PROJECT
The Africa Network for Environment and Economic Justice, ANEEJ, had a meeting with the Bureau of Public Procurement, BPP, on Wednesday November 30, 2016, at the Bureau’s office in Abuja, FCT. The meeting was held in pursuance to the “Civil Society Advocacy to Support Anti-Corruption in Nigeria (CASAN) project with support from UNDP under the EU founded 10th European Development Fund (EDF).
The meeting was held to brief the BPP on ANEEJ’s new project, the role the Bureau is expected to play and to generally seek the collaboration of the Bureau to implement the project. Mr. Innocent Edemhanria, Manager programmes, briefed the BPP on the project details including goal, objectives and proposed activities. He then mentioned to the stakeholders the areas the project seeks to engage to include the following:
- the Bureau of Public Procurement
- Ministry of Justice
- Ministry of Communications
- the EFCC
- National Assembly
Mr. Edemhanria also hinted the Bureau on activities of the project that are pertinent to the BPP involvement and which include:
- ANEEJ to hold initial meeting with the BPP for briefing and to seek their support for effective implementation of the project
- the BPP to attend the inception meeting to give goodwill message and discuss their involvement with the implementation of Open Government Partnership with particular reference to the open contracting platform.
- BPP to be ready to respond to ANEEJ call to resource person(s) for training of CSOs and journalists in Abuja and Lagos.
- After the briefing, Mr. Aliyu E. Aliyu, the Director of Database and Regulations Department at the Bureau of Public Procurement, thanked ANEEJ. He gave a summary on their involvement in the implementation of the OGP and progress made with the set up of open contracting Portal and other platforms, noting that the portal is currently being designed.
- BPP committed to working with ANEEJ on the project as the activities proposed for ANEEJ projects complements the work of BPP. Reference was made to the MOU ANEEJ and a few other CSOs have with the BPP.
- BPP introduced Mr. Mokuolu Adesina and Mr. Ikenna Ilogboko as the focal persons taking a lead in BPP working on the OGP/Open contracting issue.
- ANEEJ would shortly write again to the DG of the bureau and present the agreement reached at the engagement meeting and as well make reference to ANEEJ’s previous relationship and engagement with the bureau.
Aliyu E. Aliyu, Director of Database and Regulations Department
Mokuolu Adesina, Senior Procurement Officer
Ilogboko Ikenna, Procurement Officer II
Innocent Edemhanria – Manager Programmes
Ramat Idiake – Manager Finance & Administration
Joy Igwe-Okoye – Secretarial official
Kelly Umukoro – Communications official
Emejuiwe Victor – Centre for Social Justice