ANEEJ-LITE 2-DAY INAUGURAL/STRATEGIC PLANNING MEETING
The Strengthening Advocacy and Civic Engagement, SACE, 2-Day Inaugural/Strategic Planning Meeting for the NDDC Independent CSOs Committee held at the Aldgate Congress Resort, Port Harcourt on the 12th to 13th of September, 2017. The meeting was co-organised by the Africa Network for Environment & Economic Justice, ANEEJ, and the Leadership Leadership Initiative for Transformation and Empowerment (LITE-Africa). It was attended by 14 CSOs representatives from the 9 Niger Delta regions comprising of 4 females and 10 males.
Objectives which the committee meeting sought to achieve included the following:
- Develop a standard operating procedure for regional and state level activities of the committee
- Develop project monitoring reporting template requirements,
- Identify possible funding opportunities to support the entire work of the committee
- Agree on reporting timeline with the NDDC
- A background of the inauguration of the NDDC Independent CSOs Monitoring committee was made by ANEEJ
- Report of the first meeting of the committee and the work plan was presented by Lite- Africa
- Harry Udoh made presentation on the draft structural framework of the CSO coalition committee. (see the presentation here: DRAFT STRUCTURAL FRAMEWORK OF CSOs ENGAGED IN MONITORING)
- ANEEJ made a presentation on the project monitoring reporting template (see presentation here: ( CREATING A WORKABLE JOINT MONITORING MODEL)
- Standard operating procedure for regional and state level activities of the committee.
- Identifying possible funding opportunity to support the work of the committee and the proposed meeting with the leadership of NDDC
Participants suggested the following:
- Monitoring should uncover information on projects such as: date of award, amount involved, name of contractor and contracting agency, duration, and location of the project to be monitored.
- Monitoring should begin from the procurement process
- Monitoring should cover both regional and state projects of the NDDC, MNDA, and other development agencies in states where available.
- Monitoring of projects awarded within 5 years.
- Identify the types of projects in 3 communities in 3 senatorial districts in the 9 Niger Delta States.
- Identify regional and state projects.
- Identify projects which contribute to the attainment of the sustainable development goals, SDG.
- The draft structural framework of the CSOs Coalition committee needs to be further worked on.
- Committee should work as a coalition of NGOs with single objective of project monitoring having a steering committee and a rotational secretariat.
- In the interim, LITE-Africa to serve as the Secretariat.
AGREEMENT REACHED/OUTCOME STATEMENT
At the end of the session, participants recommended the following standard operating procedures:
- Monitoring should uncover information on projects such as: date of award, amount involved, name of contractor, and contracting firm, duration, and location of the project to be monitored.
- Monitoring should begin from the procurement process, and project to be monitored should be those awarded within the last five years, (from 2012-2017).
- Letters of engagements to be sent to the Board members of the NDDC and Commissioners representing the various states.
- The 2017 work plan has been reviewed starting from September.
- The draft standard operating procedure was developed by the Committee.
- The Committee agreed to expand the scope of monitoring beyond NDDC.
- Members of the Committee to source for funds from other sources beyond SACE, such as PIND, EXXON Mobil, and other international donors such as Ford Foundation.
- The five organisations which attended the inauguration should form the leadership at the state level with the state rep as a coordinator.
- The 5 organisation to work to expand the membership.
- LITE-Africa and ANEEJ continue to play a regional coordinating role.
- The process to engage a consultant to develop the monitoring tool and reporting template is ongoing.
Year 2017 (Reviewed Work plan)
|S/No||Year One Activities||Timeline|
|1||One Consultative Engagement with New Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) Leadership in Port Harcourt, Rivers State – 2 LITE Africa staff, 2 ANEEJ staff & 2 CSO Coalition member from Port-Harcourt||Ongoing/Anytime|
|2||2-day Inaugural/Strategic Planning meeting in Port-Harcourt for 9 CSOs Project committee members, 2 NDDC representatives, 2 LITE Africa staff and 2 ANEEJ staff.||September 12th-13th|
|3||Year 1 – 2017 Independent CSOs monitoring of NDDC projects in 3 senatorial districts in each of the 9 Niger Delta states.||October|
|4||Year 1 – 2017: Project Committee Validation Workshops in 2 Niger Delta States (Imo & Rivers) 20 participants including 2 LITE Africa staff and 2 ANEEJ staff.||October/November|
|5||One meeting with NDDC Officials on Project Monitoring Report in Port Harcourt, Rivers State – 9 CSO Coalition members, 2 LITE Africa staff and 2 ANEEJ staff in 2017||November|
|6||One day Annual Committee Meeting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State – 9 CSOs/participants, 2 LITE Africa staff and 2 ANEEJ staff in 2017||December 1st week|
|7||Printing of Project Monitoring Report||December|